Saturday, January 19, 2013

"Welcome to Paradise"

This morning, I got hit by a small bout of homesickness. It caught me totally by surprise, and as soon as I recognized it for what it was, I got mad at myself – after planning for this trip for 6 months and putting everything into getting excited for it, how dare I think about the snowy streets of home like that? The funny part is, it wasn't the fact that I'm alone over here, or even that I'm so far away from home that actually triggered it – it was some tiny things, stupid things. Like my backpack looking like a tornado hit it, on account of me accumulating way too much crap already, and then a buckle snapping. Then walking through the supermarket (a Countdown today), wishing I could buy some spices and sauces and bigger portions of meats, but of course I can't because I'm still moving around so much and have nowhere to put it.

All of these things were going through my head as I headed out from the Base hostel on a beautiful sunny morning, and as I was making the climb toward Mount Eden my new cell phone rang. “Hello Ryan,” came an unmistakably Kiwi accent, “welcome to Paradise.”

I had the good fortune of having some family back home (big thanks to Lynn and Larry) who had made the journey Down Under a few years ago, and were able to point me to a few of their New Zealand friends. A few emails later, and now I'm getting a bus in the early morning and heading out to Tauranga in the Bay of Plenty for a spell.

I may head back to Auckland in a few days time – then again, I may not, and so I decided to conquer the city today as best I could. I pointed out earlier that most people who have been here will say the same thing: “Get out of Auckland as soon as you can. It's just a city.” I believed it, but had to see for myself.

The new hostel, Pentland Backpackers, is outside of the downtown core of Auckland – the Central Business District, or the CBD – and in the Mount Eden neighbourhood. I had a rough idea of where I was going this morning, and after wandering until I found it and feeling like a jerk for changing nearly two weeks worth of reservations to a single night (which is a bit of a shame, since the dorms are a kind of homestyle cozy and the bathrooms and kitchens are clean), I put on my sunscreen and went out. And up.


Mount Eden (Maungawhau in Maori) is one of several grassy knolls rising out of the centre of Auckland, and they all have something in common: they're volcanoes. Now, it wasn't likely to erupt this afternoon or anything (it's been 28,000 years and counting), but the North Island, sitting nicely along the Pacific Ring of Fire, has a bunch of volcanoes to its credit, some a lot more firey than the ones scattered throughout Auckland (itself nestled on the Auckland volcanic field). The climb up went along a narrow dirt path alongside the road, circling the hill as it gained ground. The highest volcano in the city (200m above the Pacific), the top gave a panoramic view of the city, from the Sky Tower and the ocean behind it to Manukau Harbour on the other end. At the centre of the lookout is the crater, a grassy indentation plunging 50m down.

At Marble Mountain back home, there's a ski run called Kruncher that ends with a deceptive dip, and every time I used to do it, I would almost feel my guts coming up through my mouth. Looking down into this thing today, I figure if you tried to go down it, your feet would come all the way out of your nostrils before you had the chance to ponder the intricacies of literally being turned inside out.



The day was fine, so with an actual map from the hostel, I set off down Symonds Street (alongside Queen Street) heading for the CBD, taking the time to poke around a cemetery from the 1800s and the University of Auckland, which had plenty of buildings but not much real university character. My path veered here, to Parnell, a separate city district with some historic buildings and above average coffee culture.



New Zealand, and Auckland in particular, has a thing about cafes. They're important here, and baristas have near Godlike status. There are Starbucks around town, but I have a feeling that it's one of those places that the locals turn their noses up to, and secretly (maybe not even secretly) judge everyone who passes those doors and sets out to write their novel over a mocha something or other. I went to one of the cafes in Parnell, and did at least three things wrong. First off, it was a chain; a New Zealand chain, but a chain nonetheless. Second, I got a latte because that's something that sounded remotely familiar; apparently the thing to get is a flat white, thicker and with a smoother flavour than cappuccino. And finally, after going about 20 feet down the road, I passed a branching road leading to Parnell Village, a tiny Victorian area built onto sloping cobblestones, with cafes that made mine look like the biggest hunk of turd north of the Beehive in Wellington.  




Still, as I sat people watching, someone came up to me with a map and asked if I was from here. She knew the answer as soon as I opened my mouth, but still.

My path dipped off the road at this point and into the trees of the Auckland Domain, a 340-acre public park that dominates this area of the city. There are a lot of green spaces in the city, but this one takes the cake. In addition to all these massive trees with roots weaving in so many weird and wonderful directions, the park also houses the Auckland War Memorial Museum (a cool Greek Revivial-looking building on a bare hill), and there's also the domed Wintergarden, chock full of fountains and indoor plants. I skirted the edges of the park first through the trees, stepping what felt like miles outside of the city and into the wilderness of some tropical jungle.





When I hooked into the main park, I found the great stone Wintergarden, with a crowd of people in tuxedos and dresses for a wedding reception. I didn't find out until much later that the only reason the greenhouse was open was because the reception was being held there (it ought to have closed a few hours ago) – I walked right in, smelt the flowers (I wish I knew the right words to describe the smells), and listened to the wedding singers rehearse. I have to wonder though: are there any pictures from that day that will come up in a wedding album in years to come, where the befuddled bride will point at me and wonder who was that dude in the shorts and with the Canadian flag on his backpack?




Leaving the wedding before I got into any trouble, I went along the outskirts of the park, where a few groups had gathered for Saturday afternoon cricket matches. I have no idea how the game is played, but after watching it for a few minutes behind the sidelines of one team, I figure it's something like bowling: you exert yourself a bit, and then you sit on the sidelines and drink beer with your buddies. In other words, it looks like fun.

There were still plenty hours of daylight left after my afternoon stroll through the park, so I continued, passing through the beautiful suburb of Remuera, where people have money and you can tell. Not that the homes are particularly lavish, but the neighbourhoods just have a real sense of being something special. The sidewalks pass beneath uniform trees, flowers are draped along the fences, and if you tried to picture some idyllic neighbourhood, these streets would probably end up beating it.



I found another picture perfect grassy bump sticking out over the city skyline, but it wasn't the last stop that I was looking for: One Tree Hill, with a giant obelisk at the summit marking the grave of Sir John Logan Campbell, a former mayor from the turn of the last century who was dubbed “the father of Auckland” in his time. There used to be a single tree on the summit as well, and that's the subject of a whole lot of controversy (and a bit of a badass story of hacking down the tree) when it comes to Maori and government relations. Apparently the nickname “None Tree Hill” has been kicking around lately, since the tree was removed in 2000.

But my hike up was unhindered by any finnicky politics, and in the dusk of a New Zealand Saturday night, I hung tight to the path between the winding road and the long stretches of sheep fields and surveyed the city. And it looked pretty good – more than enough to remind me that this is a special place, and that even if I never buy a thing of Marmite, these are days that I'm going to miss someday, so it's best to enjoy every minute in Paradise you're lucky enough to get.






The moon was out (only half full, but enough to realize that all the dark crap that you see on the face of the moon is, indeed, upside-down here) and crickets were chirping as I walked back to the hostel to finally cook some supper (tortellini tonight), after a long and tiring day. I don't want to look at a map scale to figure out how much I walked today; a Kiwi stopped for a chat as I was coming back (like they do, I guess) and asked me where I went today, and when I told him he said, “You didn't walk all of that?!” In my defence, even a thorough bus would have missed a lot of the little nooks and crannies. It took me two feet and a heartbeat to see some of the amazing things in Auckland, the city that everyone can't wait to leave – imagine what's waiting for me in the good spots.

Cheers,
rb

No comments:

Post a Comment