Tuesday, May 07, 2013

More Tiki Touring (From Paradise to Dammed)

I can't remember where I read that the drive from Queenstown to Glenorchy, a 50 km stretch along the mountains and the lazy S-bend of Lake Wakatipu, is one of the best day trips in New Zealand – maybe I made that claim to fame up. Whether by official consensus or not, I bet it's still high on that list.

An autumn sun was burning off the morning frost when myself and Alan set out from Arrowtown on Saturday morning. The sky was crystal clear over Lake Hayes, but we still made sure to be on the road early, with a weather forecast of heavy clouds, rain, and even snow, if you got high enough.

 
It was as if a veil was waiting for us, just beyond Queenstown. You could see the sun like a dangling lightbulb in a smokey bar from the 90s – it was up there, but the fog wasn't ready to be burnt off, not just yet. The winding road (only a few decades old, and even more recently tar sealed for the first time – before that, the only way to Glenorchy was by boat) was much more deserted than during the busy summer months, but every now and then it peaked out from behind the cumulus curtain to give a view of the snow-capped mountains that was pretty impressive, no matter the season.

Glenorchy isn't a flashy tourist town, but that's still the main driving force behind it. River treks, Lord of the Rings 4WD tours, and cafes are the main spots to visit, unless you're just passing through on your way to do some tramping – the Routeburn Track, one of New Zealand's Great Walks, starts (or ends) about 20 km outside of the small town, coursing through beech forests and mountains to end up, 4 days later, north of Te Anau. We went down along the docks at the northern tip of Lake Wakatipu, right in the thick of the fog.

Fortunately, Glenorchy isn't the end of the road. Sure, it's so-called tiger country beyond, but we had a tank of petrol and time to kill before the sun decided to stop being contrary and brighten up the area. Northward we went, along a dirt road that not too many casual visitors get to see.
 


 
I've been in New Zealand for three and a half months, but I've only now, officially, been in Paradise.
 

Creeks crossed the road at half a dozen dips, the sun igniting puffs of mist and curling them as if from smouldering ash at the feet of the mountains. Hang onto your seats – besides for half a dozen tourists and a few fields of sheep, this section of Mount Aspiring National Park (New Zealand's third biggest) is isolated, other than you and the big rocks.


 
The drive ended along the wide, shallow valley of the Dart River. The sandflies were out, and their arrival was prophetic – the rain started pecking just as we got an eyeful of the sprawling countryside up here, at the literal end of the road.
 
 

After a lunch stop back in Glenorchy (homemade pies, what else?) and still outpacing the nasty weather behind us, the day was a whole lot clearer, granting us a much nicer view back along New Zealand's longest lake, not to mention the sizable Pig Island and Pigeon Island, which were completely concealed in the morning mist.
 



 
Cruising back through Queenstown, we made a vertical detour. Up, up, up, 1191 m by the GPS – I'd count on it being the highest I've ever been in a car, to the base of the Coronet Peak ski field. The lifts climb an additional 500 m, and right now people might be mountain biking and paragliding from these heights, but it won't be long before the snowguns get fired to life and the skiers start lining up. Up here, you've got a panoramic view of the sprawling valley, from Queenstown to Arrowtown and the Crown Ranges, on as far to the bottom of Lake Wakatipu and Kingston. Coronet Peak is one of three ski fields in the immediate area – the Remarkables looks across the Wakatipu Basin, and the Cardrona Alpine Resort is en route to Wanaka. I wonder where in this country I'll be, once the snow settles in?




 
Heading back down to the valley, we skirted the gravel road heading on to Skippers Canyon, just over the back hills. Remnants from the gold era are hidden along this off-road passage along the Shotover Valley where rental cars aren't allowed.
 

By now, it was high time for fish and chips and pints at the Tap.

Sunday morning, the weather ended up coming down in buckets, like they said. I met up with Rory for a breakfast coffee in Arrowtown, getting pointed in the direction of Ray Wade's Studio. A local self-taught jeweller, Ray invited me in for a tea and jam-filled Kisses (straight from the Edmonds Cookery Book, a Kiwi staple that happens to be the biggest selling book in this country), showing me how he does some of his woodcuts, polishes his gems, and identifying the pounamu around my neck as Inanga, the Maori word for tiny Whitebait fish. Lamb roast garnished with pumpkin, kumara, and parsnip for dinner – another Kiwi staple.

The day was overcast but decent on Monday morning, so I decided to take a look down the road to Central Otago (take everything I say with a grain of salt – it was less than a week ago that I said I didn't have time to check out these parts). I hitched a ride with a local couple as far as the Arrow Junction, where the country road joins into Highway 6, and a Chinese couple on a whirlwind, two week tour of New Zealand's South Island, brought me to Cromwell, via a dangerously winding, narrow stretch of road along the Kawarau River. As if to reinforce that this country of sepia hillsides demands your attention, we passed a “Slow Down, High Crash Rate” sign – remember this bit of trivia, and place it on your mental map of the area, because it will be important.

Cozy Cromwell, positioned right where the Kawarau meets the Clutha coming down from the north, was once called the Junction because of this moist meeting place, and it was the gold that brought people here back in the 1860s. Nowadays, it's a fruitbowl hotspot, with wineries and orchards dotting the fields around Lake Dunstan, a man-made lake that flanks the town and originally grew as a result of the Clyde Dam in the 1990s (before that, the lake was a deep gorge with train tracks and a river some 40 m below the current level).
 

Much of the old town was destroyed and replaced by a modern development, but a little chunk along Melmore Terrace was reconstructed by Old Cromwell Incorporated.
 



The leaves are falling, littering the ground beneath bare and withered grapevines in front of mountains with a nice white toupee. It looks a lot different from when I arrived in Marlborough at the end of January.
 


A Kiwi from Queenstown who manages a sawmill in Alexandra picked me up along Highway 8, making a detour through Clyde to show me the imposing dam that churns out a heap of electricity for the national grid. We get talking, like you would, about what I'm doing down here. “You ever work in a timber yard before?”
 


I had to do a bit of a double take at my person. Jeans with factory rips about the knees, clean fingernails, and if you listened carefully you could probably hear Katy Perry coming through on the headphones in my backpack. Instead of saying, “What do you think?” I just said, “No.”

Well, you don't really need it,” he said, giving me his cell phone number and offering me a job that's literally better paid than anything a university degree and months of frustrating job hunting ever turned up. Who knows – I could end up back here soon enough. Or not. This whole thing is a tiki tour after all, not just the past few days but the whole kit and caboodle, and whatever happens happens.

When I ended up in Alexandra, it was just past 2:00. This spot is a bit bigger than the other stops along the road these past few days, with all the bells and whistles like box stores and a clockface in the hillside. Still, there's a historic core here – a bridge over the Clutha runs right next to crumbling piers from the old one from the 1800s, and there's the Otago Central Rail Trail.




 
At 150 km long, the walking/biking/horse riding track is the longest such trip in New Zealand, following the path that the Otago Central Railway ran between Middlemarch and Clyde from the 1920s until 1990. A little strip, about 8 km, passes between Alexandra and Clyde. I didn't have a bike, but for that short distance and with the sun still a ways over the horizon, I decided to walk it. The terrain wasn't the most invigorating in the world, but the flat gravel road looked upon plenty of mountainsides and isolated little farms. Nothing wrong with a little stroll along the rail bed – I felt like I should have had a bamboo fishing rod slunk over my shoulder, on my way to the creek with at least one friend wearing overalls.







 
When I came to Clyde, a woman gave me a lift to the top of the hill just outside of town, where I caught a ride with a few Chinese tourists in a campervan. Things were going along smoothly, and when we came to the lookout before Cromwell and pulled over, I assumed the cameras were about to go nuts.
 

Sure, we got a few pictures. But the main reason for stopping was because of the police with his sirens flashing.

Even the police in this country are friendly. The Kiwi cop seemed to legitimately felt bad for pulling these people over, even though other drivers had been calling to complain about their driving all afternoon. Actually, scratch that – they'd been complaining for days, from Milford to Dunedin.

In the short distance since I'd joined them, I hadn't noticed anything erratic, which is probably why I didn't jump out right then and there. But I watched, knuckles whitening, as he tried to explain how you don't overtake if you can't see ahead of you and how you need to slow down going through towns (“50 kilometres . . . that's five zero. Five. Zero.”). I could see the heads nodding just as clearly as I could see the language barrier and the words bouncing haphazardly in all directions.

“Oh, how are ya mate?” he said when he saw me in the backseat, and I could see the relief flood into him upon seeing a native speaker. I followed him when he went back to his car to write the ticket.

“So, umm, is it legal for me to drive the rest of the way?”

He thought for a minute. “It would be a lot safer,” he said, “but if you got into an accident, you're not insured.”

So we came up with a compromise – I sat in the front seat and kept an eye on things. Like speed, and telling her to pull over because her headlights clearly weren't on and the last thing I wanted was her fumbling with switches and levers as we drove down the highway. The same highway (remember?) with a high rate of crashes.

Now that you're sufficiently worried about my well-being, let me say that after that fiasco, the drive back was much safer. The middle-aged woman taking driving lessons from a snot-nosed Canadian kid had gotten an overly polite dose of the fear of God put in her, and every passing lane saw a slew of cars whisk past us. Just as dusk was settling in, we made it back to Arrowtown – in one piece and everything.
 

This morning is bright and sunny, but there was even more snow overnight – the mountains have a full blanket of snow, not just a skirmish. The same mountains that, if all goes according to plan, I'll be heading over this evening, to make my way north to Wanaka for a few nights, to see the other side and keep moving. Until I go and buy a winter coat (I threw out a pair of shorts during this stay), that's the only guaranteed way to keep from freezing.

Cheers,
rb

No comments:

Post a Comment